Mulch is a protective covering that allows for vibrant finished appearance, and imitates the ground covering found in a forest. Mulch is one of the most beneficial materials you can do to your soil and plants. Besides the items above mulch provides the following:
- Seed germination reduction
- Soil temperature regulation
- Assists with reduction of weeds
- Provides fertilize
- Encourages growth of beneficial soil organisms such as worms their feces is one of the best fertilizers, soil conditioners, and they till the soul
- Keeps soil off plants especially during rain preventing crusting on plants
- Increases water absorption
- Improves soil nutrients and structure for plants
- Beautifies trails, playgrounds, and gardens with contrasting coloration
- Decomposing bark mulch does not use soil nitrates
Bark mulch once in place will last for years and is inexpensive with high benefits. When installing the bark it is best to layer two to three inches thick. Each season that mulch is applied will provide different benefits. Winter/early spring it will act as a slow insulator. Mid-summer will help maintain the highest soil temps into late fall. The best time to apply bark mulch is late spring or early summer. This provides best results because soil temperature is high and plants are well established after winter or planting. The will provide the best coverage and provide the best benefits for your garden.
For further information you can contact AMC Consolidated or your local mulching company for further details.