AMC Consolidated first product was pallets. These slabs that carry products are produced in the industrial area of Phoenix Arizona, but our product can be shipped internationally. We produce pallets that meet our customers’ high standards and shipment regulations.
Pallets have played a vital role in shipment of products since the early 1920s. This development changed the way products were shipped from production to consumer. Wood pallets provide a smooth surface, even weight distribution, and vertical stacking reducing transportation costs and storage. The greatest advantage was the time to load and unload product in regards to shipping. Creating pallets has specific regulations, needs, and purposes.
Producing pallets requires an understanding of what is the purpose of pallets and where they are going to be shipped. There are several types of pallets produced:
- Stinger Pallet: A frame of three or four parallel pieces of timber
- Block Pallet: Utilize both parallel and perpendicular stringers
Pallets can be manufactured under the following names and products:
- New Pallet: Made from new green lumber
- Reclaimed Pallet: produced from reclaimed lumber
- Recycled Pallet: Recondition (used, refurbished) re-manufactured (made from reclaimed lumber), hybrid (combination of new and reclaimed lumber)
- Grocery Manufactured Pallet: most common type of recycled pallet measuring 48”
- Soft Wood: this is the cheapest product, but it is usually good for one use and only lift able by the forklift on two sides.
- Hardwood: This is a more durable and can carry various weights that can be noted by color-coding the pallets.
Construction wood pallets can depend on the use of the pallet:
- Export; the expected load weight
- Type of wood desired:
- Kiln dried
- Combo (new & recycle);
- Type of fasteners to hold the pallet together
Types of wood used to create pallets vary in regions in the United States. Northern regions contain the least amount of wood and are mostly hardwood lumber. Southern and Western regions pallets are made mainly from softwoods. Western pallets use the most wood in production.
The reasons for the differences in regions are:
- Wood available in the region
- Industries needing shipment
- Distance that products are being shipped
AMC Consolidated currently uses KD-HT green Douglas fir, SPF-spruce pine fir, and some hardwoods. This provides a strong pallet that can meet your shipping needs and regulations.
Pallets need to be maintained and follow regulations set by: The following organization requires heat-treating and kilning dry pallets, European Union (EU), American Lumber Standard Committee (ALSC), and National Hardwood Lumber Association (NHLA).
Treating the wood pallets or skids eliminates the following insects and pest groups:
- Bursaphelenchus Xylophilus
When purchasing or receiving your pallets internationally look for the stamp that ensures your pallets meet the ISMP 15 requirements for treating pests and any certifications from organizations like, ALSC to ensure you are meeting all standards. To keep costs low and ensure pallets are meeting standards ask the pallet company if they are treating their pallets on site.
Here a few items you need to consider when placing a pallet order.
- Pallet delivery address.
- How will the pallets be unloaded: Dock or Ground (Flatbed or Van Trailer)
- What is the minimum quantity per order for this size pallet?
- How often is this quantity ordered?
- Pallet type requested: New, Recycled Or Either
- Approximate Maximum Total Weight to be placed on pallet.
- If you have a special service request: export or pallet disposal needs.
- AMC has the capabilities to heat treat and kiln dry pallets, processes necessary to prepare pallets for international use.
- Kiln drying and heat-treating are the most environmentally safe methods used in the treatment of wood pallets.
If you do not know your exact pallet specs answer these questions:
If you do know your pallet specifications, these questions may be optional
- Pallet Jackable: Yes or No
- Minimum Thickness of Deckboards.
- Maximum Spacing Between Top Deckboards.
- If 48″ by 40″ Reconditioned 4-way, Specify Grade: (1 or A, 2 or B, 3 or C)
- Will Pallet be used in Racking System? Yes or No
- Describe Products to be placed on Pallets.
- Will Pallets Containing Product be Double or Triple Stacked? Yes or No
AMC Consolidated creates, heat treats, repairs, and buys used pallets. We are knowledge and experienced. Please contact us or call 602-233-9800 for further assistance.